When it comes to choosing the best lens for the Sony Alpha 7, there are a multitude of options available. From wide-angle to telephoto, there are lenses suitable for a wide range of purposes.
There are a few key factors to consider. One of the most important is the focal length. This determines the field of view that the lens will capture, and it’s important to choose a lens that will suit the type of photography you’ll be doing. Wide-angle lenses are great for landscapes and architecture, while telephoto lenses are ideal for sports, wildlife, and other long-distance subjects.
Another key factor is aperture. The aperture is the size of the lens’s opening, and it determines how much light the lens will let in. A lens with a wide aperture (a low f-number) will allow more light in, which is useful in low light conditions. It will also allow you to create a shallow depth of field, which is a useful effect for portraits.
Finally, you’ll want to consider build quality and image quality. Look for lenses that are built to a high standard and that are dust- and moisture-resistant. And of course, you’ll want a lens that produces sharp, detailed images with good color accuracy.
In this blog post, we’ll take a look at the five best lenses for the Sony Alpha 7, to help you make an informed decision.
1. Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM, best lenses for the Sony
Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM: This is a versatile all-around lens that offers a wide range of focal lengths and a fast maximum aperture of F2.8. It’s great for everything from landscapes to portraits, and its fast aperture allows for shooting in low light conditions. The lens is also built to a high standard, with a dust- and moisture-resistant design, and it produces sharp, detailed images.
- SONY EMOUNT LENS: 35mm full frame format, instant auto / manual focus selection, focus hold button. The minimum focus distance is 0.38 meters
- NATURAL, LIFELIKE IMAGERY: ED and Super ED glass elements deliver breathtaking texture and detail
- REDUCED ABERRATION: Two aspherical elements and an extremely precise XA element maximize resolution
- 9 BLADE APERTURE: SEL2470GM lenses have a 9 blade circular aperture for a gorgeous book effect
- NANO AR COATING: Allows for accurate light transmission to improve clarity, contrast and quality
- SPECS: Aperture range f/2.8 to f/22, min focus distance 1.24 feet , max magnification ratio 0.24 x
- MORE SPECS: Angle of view 84-34 deg. (APS-C 61-23 deg.), 35 mm equivalent focal length 36-105 mm
- CAMERA COMPATIBILITY: Make sure this fits by first entering your camera’s model number
- IN THE BOX: Hood (ALC-SH141), lens front cap (ALC-F82S), lens rear cap (ALC-R1EM), lens case
2. Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM: This lens is perfect for portraits, with a flattering focal length and a fast maximum aperture of F1.4. The 85mm focal length is ideal for isolating subjects and creating a shallow depth of field, and the F1.4 aperture allows for shooting in low light conditions and creating a beautiful bokeh effect. The lens is also built to a high standard, with a dust- and moisture-resistant design, and it produces stunning image quality.
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Minimum Focus Distance : AF 2.79 ft, MF 2.62 ft, Maximum Magnification ratio (x) – 0.13 x, Focal-Length : 85 mm.Angle of view (APS-C) 19°
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16 , Filter Diameter (mm) – 67 mm
- One XA Element and Three ED Elements, Nano AR Coating
- Linear SSM Focus System.Weight:820 g.Dust and moisture resistant design.Angle of View (35 mm):29°
- Filter Diameter is 3.03 inches
- ANGLE OF VIEW (APS-C): 19° 2
3. Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM
Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM: This is a wide-angle lens that offers a wide focal range and a fast maximum aperture of F2.8. It’s great for everything from landscapes to architecture, and its fast aperture allows for shooting in low light conditions. The lens is also built to a high standard, with a dust- and moisture-resistant design, and it produces sharp, detailed images.
- Designed to achieve 50 Line pairs/mm resolving power
- Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements w/ high surface precision. Minimum focus distance – 0.28 m (0.92 ft). Maximum Magnification ratio (x)- 0.19
- Constant F2.8 max aperture maintains exposure and Depth of field. Hood Type : Petal shape, bayonet type; APERTURE BLADES: 11
- Uncompromising G Master design for smooth bokeh and high resolution. Angle of View (35 mm): 107°–63°
- In-the-box: hood, lens front cap, lens rear cap, case, Mount: Sony E-mount
4. Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS: This is a telephoto lens that offers a long focal range and a fast maximum aperture of F2.8. It’s ideal for sports, wildlife, and other long-distance subjects, and its optical image stabilization helps reduce camera shake. The lens is also built to a high standard, with a dust- and moisture-resistant design, and it produces excellent image quality.
- G Master design combines extraordinary sharpness and smooth bokeh, Constant F2.8 max aperture maintains exposure and depth of field.Weight 1480 g (without tripod mount)
- Class-leading min. focus distance of 37.8” / 0.25x max. mag, Dual floating focus system for high AF speed and precision, XA, ED/Super ED elements and Nano AR Coating for superb resolution
- Aspherical elements & 11-blade circular aperture for gorgeous bokeh, Min. focus breathing and par focal design ideal for video, Direct coupled mechanical focus system for precise manual focus
- Rigid construction with constant lens length during focusing and zooming, High performance Optical Steady Shot Image stabilization, Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability
- Nano AR coating suppress reflections, flare and ghosting, XA (extreme aspherical) element with 0.01 micron surface precision
5. Sony FE 28mm F2
Sony FE 28mm F2: This is a wide-angle lens that offers a fast maximum aperture of F2. It’s great for landscapes, street photography, and other wide-angle applications, and its fast aperture allows for shooting in low light conditions. The lens is also built to a high standard, with a dust- and moisture-resistant design, and it produces sharp, detailed images.
- A perfect match for α7 series, 35mm full-frame E-mount cameras, Outstanding optical performance in a wide 28mm focal length, Bright F2 maximum aperture
- Angle of view (35 mm)75 °,Angle of view (APS-C) 54 °.Minimum Focus Distance : 0.96 ft(AF) / 0.82 ft(MF) (0.29 m(AF) / 0.25 m(MF)), Maximum Magnification ratio : 0.13x(AF) / 0.16x(MF), Focal Length : 28 mm
- Dust and moisture resistant design, 9-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh, ED glass with multi‐coating reduces flare and ghosting
- Compact and lightweight design matches a7 series beautifully, A linear actuator focusing mechanism for smooth and quiet AF, Compatible w/ ultra-wide and fisheye converter lenses
Overall, these are the seven best lenses for the Sony Alpha 7. With a wide range of options to choose from, it’s important to consider your needs and budget when making a decision. Regardless of which lens you choose, however, you can be confident that you’ll be getting a high-quality optic that will.
Leave in the comments, if you agree with this list of lenses for Sony Alpha 7, or comment which is your favorite lens!
1 thought on “5 best lenses for the Sony Alpha 7”
I just picked up the Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM lens to replace the prime lenses I normally shoot with. I’m already in love with this lens in just a few sessions I have shot with it.